If you disagree with the hearing decision, you may ask for a review by the Social Security Appeals Council. The Appeals Council looks at all requests for review, but it may deny a request if it believes the hearing decision was correct. If the Appeals Council does decide to review your case, it will either decide your case, or return it to an ALJ for review. If your case is denied by the Appeals Council, you may file a lawsuit in a federal district court.

Remember to go over what important documents will be needed for the appeal with your social security disability attorney.